Desk Lamp Buyer's Guide
Jul 12, 2022
A suitable desk lamp can be a helpful tool for your office, library, or study room. These lamps do more than provide lighting. They can also create an environment best suited for working without straining and stressing the eyes. A good desk lamp should possess the perfect balance of function and form and hold the necessary features best suited for your tasks.
Finding the Right Lamp for You in 3 Questions
- Where will I put the desk lamp? - This might seem insignificant in the whole process, but knowing this can significantly help you buy lamps. If you know where you will position the desk lamp, you should be able to narrow down the specific qualities that you should be looking for in a desk lamp.
- How will I use the desk lamp? - You have to know the specific function of the lamp. Will you use it to light your reading materials, to accent a piece of art, or merely for decorative lighting? This will help you figure out the specific needs and requirements that you are looking for in a lamp.
- What is the current mood of your room? - Many people are into desk lamp's form and function way too much that they miss out on ensuring that their lamp will look well situated in a room and complements its existing color schemes and décor.
Significant Types of Desk Lamps
There might be a wide range of desk lamps available in the market today, but these lamps are generally divided into two types. Depending on the look or function that you are going for, you should be able to narrow your choices by picking one of the two following styles:
Traditional Style - Classic designs that have been used years back. But because they are classics, they never go out of style.
Contemporary Style - These lamps are crafted to jive with today's trends in polished metals. They also come in clean and sleek designs.
Which Desk Lamp Design Fits My Lifestyle?
Are you confused about which desk lamp is best for a particular activity or purpose? Check out the most common lamp designs to better guide you in choosing the perfect one for your space.
- Adjustable Arm Desk Lamp. If you are working on large drawing boards and would have to shift the light source closer and farther from one area to another.
- Gooseneck Desk Lamp. A perfect mix of function and design. Its neck is flexible to be twisted in any way possible.
- Clip-On Desk Lamp. This is specifically designed to clamp itself in table and desk edges conveniently. It is small, lightweight, and a great space-saver.
- Tree Desk Lamp. Resembling the branches of a tree, this lamp comes with three or more light sources that can individually be twisted to direct light wherever needed.
- Task Desk Lamp. Made especially for arts and crafts. Their standard features are movable heads, lightweight structures, and clip-on bases.
- Decorative Desk Lamp. In decorating this, the form was over-function. Its primary purpose is for space accents, mainly adorned with decorative fabric and accents.
- Magnified Desk Lamp. . Specifically designed to reduce eye strain and fatigue and is best for detailed work and hobbies such as reading and embroidery.
- Organizer Desk Lamp. This lamp has additional pockets and compartments to store paper clips, pens, and other small tools.
Tips on Wattages and Bulbs
Choosing a desk lamp is not only about its form and function. You also have to consider the amount of light that it illuminates. Again, you will have to consider your purpose for the lamp. If you use it for mere décor, a lamp with a lower wattage should be enough. However, you will need something brighter for reading and other detailed activities.
Another important thing in picking lamps for your desk is to ensure that the bulb is entirely covered by shade. This means that no part of it should be visible. It can create an irritating glare that will be very uncomfortable and even dangerous for the eyes.
Critical Choice: Swiveled or Fixed desk lamp?
Aside from deciding whether you will go for a traditional or contemporary desk lamp, another prominent feature you will have to choose is whether you will buy a lamp that has a swiveled head type or a fixed shade type. The former gives you complete freedom to control the direction of the light source, while the latter will require fewer positioning efforts and will always direct light to where you want.
Choosing the Perfect Balance of Form and Function
Desk lamps will illuminate the area where you are working, so you need to ensure that you pick something that will help you in your task while adding a beautiful accent to your space. Whatever you are doing, a good desk lamp will give you illumination whenever and wherever you need it.